You know what's cool? When you read something that you've read a thousand times and you notice something that you've never noticed before. This happened to me yesterday.
TACKLING THE O.T.
One of the assignments that my New Testament teacher Mr. Kingswood gave us, was to read and log the entire New Testament. For semester two, every Wednesday and Friday when we came to class we had the next book of the New Testament read and logged. For our logs we took each book chapter by chapter and wrote a summary for each one and also inserted any corresponding comments or questions that we had. By the end of the semester each of us had a personal log book of the entire New Testament. So now that I have that, I thought I'd try and tackle the Old Testament!
“AND GOD SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD.”
Naturally, I started the challenge of logging the Old Testament at Genesis Chapter 1. As I was reading through the first chapter I noticed something. After almost every day of creation you read the phrase, “And God saw that it was good” (vs. 4, 10, 12, 18, 21 and 25). There are two days on which God does not say this. On the sixth day instead of reading, “God saw that it was good,” we read that God saw that it was VERY good. This is because on that day, what God created was created in His very own image or likeness. This made it particularly special to God. The fact that God didn't say that what happened on the sixth day was just “good” I can understand. What I'm confused about is why God didn't say it after day 2.
THE SECOND DAY
Genesis 1:6-8 records for us the happenings of the second day. There it says, "6 And God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7 And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. 8 And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day."
A
THEORY OR TWO
If
I remember correctly, in his commentary on this passage John Calvin
suggests that perhaps God didn't call the happenings of the second
day “good” because He was merely laying the foundation/He wasn't
yet finished. Personally I wasn't satisfied with this answer because
I feel like you could say the same thing for the other days as well.
I brought up the question at Bible study last night and the
most satisfactory explanation that we came up with was that God
didn't actually create
anything
on day 2. To create
means
to make something from nothing. If you read Genesis 1:6-8 you will
notice that God didn't create
anything,
rather he fashioned something with what was already there. When you
look back at verse 2 of Chapter 1 you will see that the waters
already existed prior, particularly, to day 2. On day 2 God merely
separated the waters.
IMPART TO ME YOUR WISDOM!
So
as of right now, the best answer that I have to my question is this:
The reason that God didn't say that the happenings of the second day
were “good” but said it for all the others, was because He didn't
actually create
anything
on that day. I'll be willing and happy to be corrected on this
when/if I'm presented with objective biblical arguments, so if anyone
else has any different or further thoughts on this, I'd love to hear
from you!
THANKFULLY, THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN
Something
I realized during my experience at Gillespie Academy was that the
more you know, the dumber you feel because the more you know, the
more you realize you DON'T know. Still with me? Haha.
Looking
back on my time at Gillespie I can remember there were times when I
felt extremely overwhelmed and sometimes discouraged because as I was
increasing in my knowledge of God and His Word I realized that I
wasn't even getting close
to
learning and understanding it all.
I've come to realize that
it's pretty foolish to think that I, an finite creature, could ever
come close to fully understanding an infinite God. By God's grace, as
time goes on instead of being overwhelmed with discouragement I'm
becoming overwhelmed with thankfulness
that I'll never stop learning about God and His Word. I'm glad that
I'll never know all that there is to know about God, because if I
could possibly arrive at that point, that would mean that God would
cease to be infinite. I'm totally
okay
with not knowing and understanding everything (as if I had the
choice) if it means that God is infinitely loving, true, faithful,
just, perfect...and everything else that God is! :D
"OH, THE DEPTHS..."
At
the end of Romans 11 we read Paul's response/reaction to all that he
had written previously in his letter. He came to a point where he was
completely overwhelmed with the awesomeness, in the true
sense of the word, of God. I'll close this (rather unintentionally
long—for that I do apologize :P) blog post with what he said. In
Romans 11:33-36 we read, “33
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How
unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 34
“For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his
counselor?” 35 “Or who has given a gift to him that he might
be repaid?” 36 For from him and through him and to him are all
things. To him be glory forever. Amen.”
deep thoughts Kristen. The more you know the more you realize you don't know. So True!
ReplyDeleteWow, that was a powerful post! So glad you started a blog. I'll be checking back often. :)
ReplyDeleteElizabeth W.